Frequently Asked Questions
What does purchasing this course get me?
- Purchasing the Intro to Improvisation course gets you access to the course FOR LIFE. It's a one-time purchase that will ensure you have access to the material for as long as need it. Also, you'll have access to any new additions or updates to the course over time. You ALWAYS have the most up-to-date and value-packed version available. In addition to the course, you'll receive a secret code to access the private members-only channels in the Charles Cornell Discord server. That's where you'll get access to an exclusive community of fellow students, who you'll be able to connect with and share progress and questions with!
How is this different from other piano courses?
- One of the ways Charles has been able to build a YouTube channel with over 1M subscribers is by having a unique ability to explain complicated concepts in an extremely clear and easy-to-understand manner. While other courses simply feature an instructor talking to the camera, this course is packed full of detailed graphic animations and supplemental resources to make sure you'll be up to speed at every step of the way.
How much practice will I need to put in?
- There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of how much practice is enough. The best amount of time to practice is any amount of time when you're actually doing it. For some people, that might be 10 minutes per day. For others, it might be 2 hours. With this course, you can go as fast or as slow as you like, and you can replay any of the videos in the course as many times as you like. You get to set your own pace and take as long as you need to work through it.
What kind of piano do I need?
- One that works! An acoustic piano will work great and so will a digital keyboard. It doesn't matter how expensive it is, how many keys it has, or how many features it has. If it has some keys and makes a sound, you can probably use it! Now of course, a better quality instrument can help make some things easier. But especially at the beginning, the important thing is that you get playing at all. You can worry about the fine details later.
Do I need prior experience in order to take this course?
- NO! Improvisation can be a slightly more advanced topic than basic introductory music theory. HOWEVER, it doesn't have to be. This course is for you if you are a musician who enjoys playing music, but are looking to take your skills to the next level by unlocking the ability to play anything you want, off the cuff. By learning the basic concepts of improvisation, you'll gain the confidence and ideas necessary to start trying it out yourself. Before you know it, you'll be figuring out your own lines and phrases to add to your musical vocabulary! If improvisation is still a little intimidating, be sure to check out our other courses to help build up your basic music skills! Our Intro to Piano course will help get you on the right track to building the skills needed to tackle more advanced concepts!